Yes! I want a world TODAY!!!
9 (60%)
Meh...
3 (20%)
NO DON'T DO IT!!!
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: February 20, 2012, 04:42:10 pm

Author Topic: *Idea* for Infinium's Future...  (Read 12143 times)

Offline darthrax

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • Infinium
*Idea* for Infinium's Future...
« on: February 13, 2012, 04:40:30 pm »
As many of you know/may not know, I have been very busy with work for the past age...

There's lots that's been going on that I have no idea about because I have not had time to be on the server.

I have been thinking for a while now if keeping the server up is a worthwhile investment for me as I dont have time to play...

The thing is, I worked hard to get this server where it is today. Good or bad is up to anyone to decide and i dont grudge anyone their opinion... When I started this thing, I kept wondering how to make it unique, different from the zillion other Minecraft servers out there...  Maybe I have that idea now. Perhaps there's someone already doing it. Perhaps not. I haven't looked, but I wanted to get your feedback anyways...

We have a server that has 16 gigs of RAM. Right now, we dont use it because we dont have that many players. Lets say my expectations were too high when I got this server...

So onto the grand idea...

When I started this thing, I was intrigued with Minecraft's seeming infinite world, infinite possibilities, infinite ... everything. Hence the name Infinium. Theres lots of you that have great ideas, exactly how you want to build, exactly how you want to work, exactly how the game should be played. There's lots of you running servers, either at home or rented elsewhere. So I had the idea to combine everything into one giant thing.

I dont have time to manage the server at the moment or for the foreseeable future... However, i realize that a lot of you want to do things your way. What if we were to sell worlds. What i mean is that you want to have a world of your own, so it will be configured exactly as you want it to be, plugins etc. You would be admin of *that* world only, and you could decide what happens. All worlds spawns would have to have a teleport to all other worlds or back to a world which was a neutral non-pvp, non-build world chooser world... There would be a forum created for your world and we could also build a world voter thingy if we get enough people on.

All plugin permissions would be set on a per world basis. All player groups would be set on a per world basis. There will be a core group of Global Admins who will have admin access to all worlds. All world owners would have to grant specific rights to donators.

My aim from this idea is to basically combine the plethora of Minecraft servers into one giant community so that players log in once and get to choose how they want to play...

The one thing i am trying to figure out is banning... I can try to arrange a system where a user gets banned from a world and cannot get there again. If he/she gets banned from three worlds they get banned from Infinium.

Is this a good idea or am i just batshit crazy...

Ok people... from the poll results, it seems that people like the idea so far.

I would like to know how many of you want a world of your own. I want you to write ideas for your worlds and send me a PM with a list of plugins you want (if you dont want everyone to know what YOUR mix is..).

Please only PM me if you are commiting to a world and have the money to pay for it. I am not charging you anything right now, but I don't want to be spammed with messages saying 'You should do this...' or 'You should do that...' to Infinium. I want to know what you want to do with YOUR world.

Depending on the initial number of worlds, the cost per world will be between $30 to $50. A small recurring fee will be charged for promotions/advertising only.

I have not fixed a price yet as I want to find out the advertising cost of 2 months on minestatus and mcserverlist. I have been following the ad rates for a while and after playing with the previous ad banner, I estimate somewhere in the region of $300 to $500 is required for 2 months. This is not accurate. It is an educated guess.

I have a friend working on a new banner for the ads which i'll put up when it's ready.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:10:19 pm by darthrax »

Offline ProjectSaturn

• Mod
  • Forum's Medic
    • View Profile
Re: *Idea* for Infinium's Future...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:52:13 pm »
Interesting Idea, but what about unbanning aswell? A person could just get a friend to unban him from their world, therefore unbanning him from infinium.
Also, 100 POSTS FTW

Offline darthrax

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • Infinium
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 05:00:24 pm »
unbanning would be only available to global admins.

Offline ProjectSaturn

• Mod
  • Forum's Medic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 05:04:44 pm »
I see, and WorldEdit?

Offline Master_Ms

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 05:06:45 pm »
darth that is a good idea, but only if it works well ;D i hope it does!

Offline darthrax

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • Infinium
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 05:21:42 pm »
All plugins and permissions would be configured on a per world basis. that includes worldedit, worldguard, etc... Some things would be global, like perhaps the economy but that is not neccesary.

Offline silversun123

• Mod
  • I Am Silversun The Final Sun God
    • View Profile
    • INFINIUM An Awesome Server
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 05:29:54 pm »
if i vote for this, and i buy a world, can my base be sent over to it? and my hotel also? building it all again seems pointless if i would be an admin in my own world

p.s i voted yes anyway

Offline darthrax

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • Infinium
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 05:33:24 pm »
if i vote for this, and i buy a world, can my base be sent over to it? and my hotel also? building it all again seems pointless if i would be an admin in my own world

p.s i voted yes anyway

sure. does seem pointless.

Offline silversun123

• Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 07:25:07 pm »

sure. does seem pointless.
thanks darth!

Offline mean_man2288

• Citizen
  • SOPA IN FREANCH is MoNcE SALAUDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 08:34:36 pm »
how would we buy a world iconomy or real money?
could we perhaps have both so once you have 1mill and have been on the server for acertain amount of time you could perchase your own world with iconomy or you could just donste £20 to get it instantly

als0 could each world have a white list there are many players i dislike

Offline darthrax

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • Infinium
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 08:49:29 pm »
Worlds would be purchasable only with real money. I have not decided on an amount yet but I was thinking of keeping a high setup fee perhaps $35 to $40 and then a monthly fee of $5 or something to keep it running.

A whitelist per world would be tough to do. Not because it can't be done but because maintaining a separate player list per world would be a chore.

Offline Jasonfran

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 09:37:01 pm »
Hmm one problem, people ganging up on one person, they could ban them from their worlds just to global ban a player

Offline Jasonfran

• Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »
Players will love this when they get worldedit in their own worlds

Offline silversun123

• Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 10:12:41 pm »
real money?
MONTHLY FEE!!!

guess there is no new world waiting for me then :(

good news, today i celebrate me joining the server for a year!
its my anniversary :D

Offline mean_man2288

• Citizen
  • SOPA IN FREANCH is MoNcE SALAUDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 10:26:50 pm »

guess there is no new world waiting for me then :(
same :(